Sunday, February 1, 2009

First Impressions

Written on 01/28/09

I'm writing this as I'm sitting in the Seattle airport waiting for the last leg of my trip to Kalispell.
I flew out of Chiang Mai. Goobyes to my family weren't any easier than I'd imagined them to be. From Chiang Mai I flew to Bangkok, had a layover there for a few hours, from there to Taipai, Taiwan, and then the long flight to Seattle (about 10 1/2 hrs.)
Flying in here about all I could do was gasp, "Wow!" when I looked out the window and saw over the edge of the plane wing billowing gray clouds and behind them JAGGED, SNOW-COVERED PEAKS, and topping it all a glowing orangy red-pink sunset (one of the bestest colors in the whole wide world!:) I'm afraid the two ladies sitting next to the window never did quite grasp what all the fuss was about.
Let me just say...it's a different world.
I wanted to find a place where I could use the internet, so I was sitting there trying to figure out exactly how I was going toaccomplish this when all of a sudden it hit me that - Duh! - I can actually talk to nearly anybody I want and they'll actually understand me -- quite the novel thought! It feels very weird to have almost all the people around me chatting away in English. I actually almost feel like I'm intruding on people's conversations when I walk by people who are talking, or when I hear someone on the phone.
I might also add that almost everyone around me (including myself, I suppose) looks quite "weird" (i.e. huge people, big noses, strange haircolors,...)
Anyways.. I'll soon by "home" (not quite sure where I think that is anymore...)! Can't wait to catch a glimpse of that fluffy white stuff that covers the ground, though I'm not quite as sure about the cold.:) I've come this far safely and had a reasonably uneventful flight -- God's good! I'll get back with you later...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same kind of experience when I came back from Africa. But when I came back, I was coming home to my parents instead of leaving them. It took me a while to get used to being able to just go to the store to get something if I needed it, or to be able to take a shower without having to heat water up on the campfire. I didn't realize how spoiled we as Americans are until I came back, and could run to the store whenever I needed anything.

A. Lena said...

Hi, I'm Adel, new communications director for JFA. I had a nice e-mail from your mom about your family. I sure would enjoy meeting you and them someday! I'm sure it's hard coming back. I know the feeling, too. It almost makes you sick to realize how wealthy we are! I enjoyed reading some of your stuff and seeing you pics on your blog. How soon do you think you'll get back? God bless as you pursue your EMT! If you're ever feeling misunderstood about the whole reverse-culture-shock think drop me a line! (rememberadel@gmail.com)